Climate change is an urgent, undeniable, and unique threat that has the potential to undermine everything we care about as a foundation. Its effects touch all cultures and geographies. Climate change disrupts earth’s natural systems. It threatens public health, global development, and safety. And it hurts the world’s most vulnerable people most of all.
Reducing greenhouse gas emissions over the next 10 years is essential to stabilize our climate. It is a problem that can be solved in ways that provide economic and social benefits for all. Together, we can have a collective impact and measurable progress is already being made.
In partnership with other funders, we have invested in the ClimateWorks Foundation and their network of hundreds of non-profit organizations worldwide. Together, we are focused on proven and emerging mitigation strategies that will make the biggest difference.
We aim to:
- Promote clean power alternatives that reduce reliance on coal.
- Increase the availability of low carbon transportation options to minimize global oil consumption.
- Increase energy efficiency across all sectors.
- Minimize emissions from land use practices around the world by stopping deforestation and improving agricultural practices.
- Reduce emissions of potent greenhouse gases beyond carbon dioxide alone, including black carbon, methane, and hydrofluorocarbons.
- Identify breakthrough strategies that will change the trajectory of greenhouse gas emissions.
“Every foundation can make a lasting difference to slow climate because our sector has the freedom to think big, take risks, and invest for the long haul."
“The will and momentum for innovation in climate is enormous. There is big opportunity to create space for new ideas that paint outside the lines."