The foundations for a lifetime of health and learning are built in the first five years of a child’s life, and adults are key to making these foundations strong.
When adults know how to support a child’s healthy development and can create experiences for learning, children grow up with the curiosity and confidence they need to succeed in school and life.
Many different adults matter to a child’s growth—from parents to child care providers, educators, and health care professionals. They all play an important role in nurturing a child’s development, learning, and health.
We can help children have a strong start in life by ensuring that all the adults in their lives are equipped with the best information, coaching, resources, and support they need to help the children in their care grow and thrive.
We aim to:
- Improve training and professional development for child care providers and educators so they can support children’s learning and growth.
- Provide parents, family, and friends that care for children with the skills and support they need to create nurturing environments for children.
- Ensure all children and their families can afford comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Strive for equitable access to quality health care and nutrition services as part of a system that supports children and families.
- Support comprehensive paid family leave policies that allow adults to take the time they need to care for sick loved ones or nurture young children so that they grow up healthy, confident, and ready to learn.
We work to support the various adults in young children’s lives with resources and information so that all kids can grow up healthy, confident, and ready to learn.
Innovating & Scaling What Works
We test and evaluate models for child development and learning to understand what works and how to share it.
Investing in Leaders
We back community leaders who support and promote building quality relationships between adults and children at the state and local level.
Advocating for Quality
We support grantees who push for policies, programs, and services that improve the lives and health of children and families.
We help educators and care providers collaborate with other partners in their communities to ensure children and families receive the support they need to be healthy and successful.
Researching Best Practices
We research and evaluate what’s happening in the field and share findings and best practices throughout the state.