In 1964, David and Lucile Packard established this Foundation to promote positive, lasting change in the areas they cared most about—the environment, science, children, reproductive health and their local community. Fifty years later and many long-term partnerships forged with our grantees and collaborating donors, we’ve made significant progress toward their vision.
Over the course of this year, we’d like to celebrate that progress by sharing stories from our grantees and the work supported by the Foundation, memorable moments from our history, important upcoming events and other updates and news related to our 50th Anniversary. We invite you to join us in this celebration and on our journey to advance positive change over the next 50 years.
For ongoing updates, visit this page often or follow us on Twitter: @PackardFdn.
July 28, 2014: Children, Families, and Communities Program Introduces Starting Smart Strategy
- Watch our new video focused on giving every child a strong start by empowering the adults in children’s lives to provide health care and quality early learning opportunities.
- Read about our new strategy and approach to ensuring that all of California’s children are ready to succeed in school by age five—with good health, self-confidence, social skills, and a love of learning.
June 26, 2014: What does “commitment to effectiveness” mean to us?
- Learn about our Five Guiding Principles for Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
- Read how sharing learning to amplify impact has been central to our children’s health grantmaking and what we learned from our experiences intentionally integrating evaluation, strategy and communications in order to contribute to better health outcomes for kids.
May 30, 2014: Packard Foundation and Ashoka Changemakers Launch Activating Empathy Competition
- Learn more about the Building Vibrant Communities: Activating Empathy to Create Change competition.
- Explore the conversation on Twitter: #ActivatingEmpathy.
- Watch Foundation President and CEO, Carol Larson, speak about why activating empathy is the key to building vibrant communities.
April 28, 2014: Carol Larson, Packard’s president and CEO, looks back in celebration on the anniversary of the first-ever Board meeting.
- Learn about the Foundation’s 50 years of lasting change through our digital timeline.
- Explore our Review of 2013 Funding Data, where we reflect on our past year of grantmaking – including a special 50-year data highlight.
March 19, 2014: Our Commitment to Nonprofit Effectiveness
- Learn more about Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO) and the Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP).
- Explore the conversation from the GEO conference on Twitter: #2014GEO.
- Listen to Foundation President and CEO, Carol Larson, speak at the GEO conference on the intersection of values and actions.
March 3, 2014: The Ocean, the Economy and Our Well-being
- Watch our Ocean Vision video featuring Walt Reid, Conservation and Science Program Director, and the work of a few of our grantees and partners.
- Read remarks from Julie Packard, Foundation Trustee, that she shared at The Economist World Ocean Summit.
- Learn more about the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute.