Job Title: Solutions Architect and Developer (Full-time, Exempt)
Job Number: 18-06-1400R
You will be part of an agile solutions development team, building and supporting business solutions (both on premise and cloud) and software systems to provide automation and end-to-end systems management. This is an opportunity to perform a variety of development roles. You must be an adaptable and quick learner with experience working in a fast-paced small team environment. Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must. We seek a self-motivated, collaborative team member who can work with little guidance as well as contribute effectively with others to support the work of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide our work. We make grants at the local, state, national, and international levels.
We work on issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
Overview of Information Technology
The Information Technology (IT) team delivers technology services and support to staff and guests of the Foundation. The IT team ensures that technology enhances and supports the work of the Foundation from both operational and strategic perspectives. This includes day-to-day support, services, and the development of value added solutions.
Solutions Architect and Developer
The Solutions Architect and Developer consults, analyzes, designs, builds, deploys, and supports complex business database systems and solutions that work toward meeting the needs of the Foundation. This position provides design recommendations based on a longer-term IT organization strategy and develops enterprise-level applications and custom integration solutions that include architecting and designing new solutions, patches and enhancements to existing solutions, interfaces, functions, and features. This role uses a variety of tools to provide software solutions to users and expertise regarding the functional integration of applications across the Foundation.
Responsibilities include capturing requirements, determining specifications, planning, designing, and developing business critical software solutions by utilizing appropriate software engineering processes – either individually or in concert with a project team and working with vendors and external resources. This role works on multiple projects simultaneously.
Solutions development will include providing technical insight, consultation, and recommending streamlined solutions by developing or adapting software for projects. It will include designing, developing, troubleshooting, debugging, testing, writing technical documentation, and implementing software code for an entire solution or a component of a system. This role reports to the Applications Manager.
- Partners with stakeholders to consult, analyze, and leverage technology to bring innovation to improve the grantmaking process and user experience as well as to gather and develop business requirements along with technical and functional specifications
- Supports the project team(s) with analysis and delivery of solutions. Leading when appropriate.
- Researches, tests, builds, and coordinates the integration of new products per production and client requirements
- Designs, develops, and maintains software applications in collaboration with the team and participates in every aspect of the development life cycle
- Packages and supports deployment of releases into non-production and production environments
- Develops, refines, implements, and maintains application interfaces and integrations with backend databases and other systems
- Participates in peer-reviews of solution design and related code
- Ensures that proper programming and development standards and procedures are used as well as utilizing programming architecture for code reuse
- Demonstrates technical expert skills and acts as a critical technical resource across multiple disciplines
- Interactively follows-up with users to produce timely enhancements that adds useful functionality and a high degree of technical flexibility
- Informs solutions by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues; develops software solutions by working with users and analyzing information needs, studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes while also investigating problem areas
- Exercises excellent judgment within generally defined IT practices and policies to determine appropriate actions
- Ensures user needs are met and application performance is within service level agreement targets
- Other duties or projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Proficient with Microsoft .NET development tools, guidelines and conventions including but not limited to C#, ASP.Net, ADO.Net, SQL Server 2008/2012, and Entity Framework
- 3+ years of experience working as .Net Developer using C#
- Experience with web development technologies including ASP.NET, MVC3, LINQ, HTML, XHTML, CSS, JQuery, AJAX, and REST
- Strong navigation and site-design instincts with experience in user interface design and prototyping
- Experience with database development using SQL and relational database management system
- Knowledge and experience in utilizing development, testing, and deployment methodologies
- Experience with source control management systems, agile tools and deployment environments including Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server, Source Control, or JIRA, or Github
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling, and optimization
- Comprehensive understanding of object-oriented and service-oriented application development techniques and theories in designing, coding, testing, and debugging solutions
- Experience in developing applications and integrations on CRM platforms such as Microsoft Dynamics 365 (CRM) or Salesforce
- Experience working with proper security standards and practices; and utilizing security technologies like OAuth, SAML, and JWT
- Highly motivated and works effectively independently and on a team
- Strong communication skills with internal team members and external business stakeholders
- Self-motivated and responsive with demonstrated excellent judgment
- Able to grasp, learn, apply, and implement new concepts quickly and effectively
- Demonstrated analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills with technical flexibility
- Exceptional time management, organizational skills, and project management skills
- Strong customer service orientation and the ability to build and maintain relationships that ease collaboration with others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with strong documentation skills
- Able to work with multiple project and work streams concurrently while delivering work products on time and within budget
- Demonstrated skills in working well and flexibly as a team member and leader in varied activities and projects as needed
- Interacts with others in a professional, courteous, effective, and tactful manner
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 20 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent education and work experience and a minimum of 6 years of progressing software development work experience
Benefits and Compensation
We offer excellent benefits and compensation that is commensurate with education and related work experience. The position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Email a one-page cover letter and a resume explaining your interest and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com. Please reference job number 18-06-1400R in the subject line.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.