Job Title: Investments Managing Director (Full-time, Exempt)
Job Number: 19-12-8890R
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is a family foundation located in Los Altos, California. The Foundation is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for over 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are: improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
The Foundation expects to make grantmaking awards of over $350 million in 2019. A staff of 130 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed on to the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity; respect for all people; belief in individual leadership; commitment to effectiveness; and the capacity to think big.
The investments team is currently an 11-person team comprised of seven investment professionals and four operational and administrative professionals. We are a high-performing, intrinsically motivated team that values collaboration, debate, and collective responsibility for the Foundation’s $7.4 billion portfolio. Our goal is to generate an annual payout to fund the Foundation’s grants by partnering with the best fund managers across the globe and across asset classes on a bottom-up basis. This is more information about our investment philosophy.
We seek a senior investment professional with a background in Private Equity and Venture Capital to help invest and manage the Foundation’s portfolio. You will be a key member of the Investments team, collaborating on all aspects of portfolio management, including the sourcing, selection, and monitoring of investment managers for the portfolio, performing investment research, conducting portfolio and performance analysis, and presenting to the Investment Committee. You will have an opportunity to lead our relationships in Private Equity, Venture Capital, and/or certain geographies such as Greater China, depending on your experience. You will also collaborate and give input on investments in other asset classes. To be successful in this role, you will have a good foundation in Endowment and Foundation investing; be able to demonstrate leadership in a small, flat, and cohesive team environment; possess strong EQ, networking, relationship-building, and quantitative skills; have a strong global network; and have a long-term interest in Endowment and Foundation investing as a career.
As an integrated team within the Foundation, you will have opportunities to hear, participate, and learn about the Foundation’s programs.
- Key leadership role on the Investments team in all aspects of the investment process, including sourcing new investment ideas and relationships; leading meetings with existing and prospective managers; developing quantitative and qualitative evaluation of investment opportunities; supporting and advocating for investment views; and preparing investment recommendations for the Investment Committee
- Analyzing and synthesizing data relating to general investment concepts, as well as performance and exposures of individual managers, asset classes, and the overall portfolio and articulating key findings and trends
- Developing and maintaining key relationships with fund managers and peer institutions
- Teaching and mentoring staff
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Education
- 9+ years of work experience in an Endowment or Foundation investment management environment with significant experience in Private Equity, Venture Capital, and/or China; or 9+ years of work experience at a Private Equity or Venture Capital firm, with a strong interest in pivoting careers to an Endowment or Foundation
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation complete, in progress, or intended; and/or Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Broad network of investment professionals and strong relationship building skills
- Experience managing and coaching direct reports
- Strong and demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong orientation to detail and accuracy and excellent organizational skills
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to think critically
- Must be proactive and open to new challenges
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, multi-task, and work well both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable and highly capable with Microsoft Excel, analyzing large amounts of data
- Familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to work well under pressure and within a small team
- Able to travel as needed (25-30%)
Benefits and Compensation
We offer an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with education and relevant work experience. The position is full-time, exempt, and located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
No phone inquiries, please.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.