Job Title: IT Portfolio Manager (Full-time, Exempt)
Job Number: 19-07-1400
We are a family foundation guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. The Foundation is guided by the core values of integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
We focus on the issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and strengthening a vibrant network of local nonprofit organizations
For 2019, we expect to make grantmaking awards of over $350M. Our staff of 130 conducts our day-to-day operations and the Foundation is governed by a Board of Trustees.
We are deeply engaging on our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
As the IT Portfolio Manager, you will assume the responsibility of supporting organizational and IT leadership in their efforts at overseeing, managing, and leveraging the entire lifecycle of IT investments and initiatives to optimally achieve enterprise goals and objectives.
You will serve as the planning and service interface to assigned business groups (in Administration Functions or designated by IT Director) and a “trusted advisor” to Foundation leadership. The role can be referred to as the “service owner” in the shared service delivery model, responsible for an IT service end-to-end, in terms of its description, customer satisfaction, financial performance, business demand, and value of the service. You will play a critical role when the IT organization transitions to a service portfolio approach. You will regularly create a service improvement plan in terms of people, processes, and technology to improve a service, and work with stakeholders and user groups to identify and solve business problems with all available technology.
The position, reporting to the IT Director, includes some aspects and ownership for identifying, prioritizing, and coordinating project and program resources engaged with all or many of the initiatives within the IT project portfolio. The IT Portfolio Manager is a primary resource to the IT Oversight Council and Project Coordination Group for communications and for reporting the status and performance to expectations for the initiatives within the IT project portfolio.
You seek the opportunity to bring your knowledge, skills, and expertise to a team that is passionate about innovation, effectiveness, and making a difference. You are proud to be delivering technology platforms and solutions that enable others to accomplish amazing things. You want your work to have meaning and purpose, you want to impact the communities and the causes that are important today.
You want to spend much of your time identifying, prioritizing, and coordinating project resources engaged with all or many of the initiatives within the IT project portfolio. You have strong leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate the portfolio objectives, inspire and motivate staff, and maintain alignment to the business strategy. You are highly empathetic and able to vary styles of interaction to match the needs of a variety of business and technical audiences, as well as temperaments and personalities.
- Project Management: Responsible for overall coordination, status reporting, and stability of project-oriented work efforts. Establishes and implements project management processes and methodologies to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, adhere to high quality standards and meet customer expectations. Responsible for assembling project plans and team work assignments – directing and monitoring work efforts on a daily basis, identifying resource needs, performing quality review; and escalating functional, quality, timeline issues appropriately. Responsible for tracking key project milestones and adjusting project plans and/or resources to meet the needs of customers. Coordinates communication with all functional areas and groups involved at the Foundation. Development and maintenance of the required project portfolio documentation and artifacts.
- Business Relationship Management: Responsible for establishing, managing, and maintaining business relationships with internal customers, stakeholders/partners and third parties. Promotes an understanding of IT roles, processes, and activities to the business, as well as be a trainer and communicator of IT services and capabilities. Facilitates the definition and establishment of service and support requirements with internal stakeholders, end-users, and service providers. Identifies, manages, and resolves issues reported by business as needed. Investigates and resolves service delivery problems. May participate in contract negotiation and administration.
- Business Value Management: Responsible for the development and documentation of comprehensive business cases to assess the costs, benefits, ROI, and Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of highly unique or complex solution proposals. May assist in the development of service-level agreements (SLAs) or evaluation of third-party vendors as directed. Works with the organizations and IT Director to define business and IT performance metrics, and measures, tracks and reports on benefits/value realization and customer satisfaction levels. May assist IT Director in partnering with stakeholders to identify and prioritize opportunities for utilizing technology to achieve the goals of the Foundation.
- Process Improvement: Responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of standardized tools, templates, and processes across the Foundation to help drive continuous process improvements. Recommends and advocates for additional data and/or services needed to address key issues related to process or solutions design. Facilitates the planning and execution of key changes using technology. Reviews, evaluates, and prioritizes value gaps and opportunities for process enhancements or efficiencies.
- Solution Consulting: Responsible for leveraging multiple requirements gathering methodologies to identify business, functional, and non-functional requirements. Anticipates key needs and identifies and proposes IT products and services to fulfill those needs. Facilitates and defines the mapping of current state against future state processes. Defines the impact of requirements on upstream and downstream solution components. Provides insight and influence on how to integrate requirements with current systems and business processes across the Foundation. Orchestrates solution design by translating requirements into workable solutions and facilitating design sessions with the IT team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with applying, configuring and/or delivering training for Microsoft Office365, ServiceNow, Salesforce, Google G-Suite, SAP Concur, NetSuite, and/or Cornerstone
- 5 years in a leadership role working with diverse project or technical teams
- 4 years of experience in business case development/analysis, or on projects/programs requiring the integration of cross-functional technology and/or business solutions
- Technology consulting leadership experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate the portfolio objectives with strong business acumen
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain portfolio goals and objectives as well as demonstrating technical leadership
- Strong analytical, conceptual and financial analysis skills, and familiarity with financial reporting tools
- Highly empathetic and able to vary styles of interaction to match the needs of a variety of business and technical audiences, as well as temperaments and personalities
- Effective influencing and negotiation experience and skills in collaborative environment with limited resources
- Excellent analytical, planning, and execution skills
- Familiarity with the use of reporting tools to monitor portfolio activities and analyze portfolio performance
- Familiarity with one or more project/program management methodologies, IT/software development practices, or continuous process improvement practices/methodologies (such as PMI PMBOK, SDLC, Agile, DevOps, ITIL, or Lean) and across a range of projects and programs
- Understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business and how they may be applied to the enterprise to drive digital business.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, information/computer systems, or a related technical field. Additional equivalent work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in IT, consulting, business analysis, Professional Services, portfolio/project management, or a related field
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with related work experience. The position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Please visit the candidate portal to submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool for this search.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.