Job Title: Financial Analyst (Full-time, Exempt)
Job Number: 17-13-2150R
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is seeking a skilled Financial Analyst to help support the financial aspects of grants and operations management. This role is responsible for providing analytical support and analysis to functions within Finance and Administration and across the organization.
We are family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for over 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. We make grants at the local, state, national, and international level.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science, advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems, and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. For 2017, the Foundation expects to make grantmaking awards of over $300 million. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
Key areas of responsibility include: annual operating; capital, investment, and grant budgets; management reporting; operational and grant budget monitoring and reporting; investment and payout analysis; tax return preparation and filings; data management; and support of controllership and finance functions. This position works in close partnership with another Financial Analyst and reports to the Finance Director. Duties include, but are not be limited to, the following:
Operations Financial Management
Financial planning and analysis
- Manages annual operating, capital and investment budget and forecast process, procedures, and reporting
- Manages various accounting structures and software for tracking and monitoring budgets
- Prepares budgets, analyzes financial information, and prepares reports
- Analyzes financial information for ongoing management and financial reporting and prepares reports
- Contributes to external surveys and reports
- Prepares financial models for special projects
Treasury and Tax
- Analyzes information and prepares reports and projections on the Foundation’s investments, payout, and related tax planning
- Prepares cash flow forecasts for use in grant and operations payout
- Manages various accounting processes, procedures, and systems for tax return
- Prepares the annual tax return and related filings
- Manages and prepares state filings
- Monitors and processes all property tax filings
Grantmaking Financial Management
- Manages the grant award budget process
- Manages grant payment processes including processing payments, documentation, training, and quality
- Manages monthly and annual grant-related financial reconciliations in partnership with Controller’s Office
- Analyzes grant-related financial information for ongoing management and financial reporting
- Prepares grant-related financial and related management reports
- Manages grant-related financial policies and procedures
- Ensures on-going collaboration with other internal and external stakeholders to ensure high quality financial data, processes, and systems
- Manages department’s compliance with the Foundation’s record retention policy, including managing resources and content on SharePoint/Intranet
- Partners with Controller’s Office to identify and resolve payment issues and ensure proper controls are in place
- Assists programs with operational and grantmaking-related financial issues
- Provides operational and grantmaking-related financial research and analyses
- Independently performs complex quantitative analyses and scenario-planning exercises
- Recommends and acts on process improvements to improve data integrity and speed
- Ensures processes are documented, easily accessible, and cross trained
- Constructively and actively participates in field peer learning groups
- Takes on additional projects as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated analytical and financial modeling skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Reliable with demonstrated experience with self-management
- Proven ability to independently translate a concept into a solution
- Experience with data visualization highly desired
- Highly adaptable to change and calm under pressure
- Skilled with demonstrated experience in Microsoft Excel/Word/Outlook
- Demonstrated PowerPoint presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication and documentation skills
- Experience interacting positively and professionally with all staff
- Protects sensitive and confidential information
Candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively by telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also have the ability to work at a desk for 2-3 hours at a time, lift and move documents and supplies not to exceed 20 lbs., and bend to file and retrieve documents.
Education and Experience:
Related Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and work experience and 5-7 years of related work experience
Benefits and Compensation:
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with relevant education and work experience. Position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Please email a one-page cover letter explaining how your interest and work experience fit this position and a resume to email@example.com. Please reference the job number 17-13-2150R in the subject line.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.