Job Title: Facilities Technician (Full-time, Nonexempt)
Job Number: 19-08-1520R
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is actively seeking a Facilities Technician. The Facilities Technician contributes to the work of the Foundation by performing general maintenance and repairs.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) works on the issues our founders cared about most: improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations
A staff of 130 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
The Facilities team is committed to providing exceptional service in support of the Foundation’s work and is responsible for the maintenance of the work environment and Foundation buildings, while pursuing energy efficiency and sustainability goals. This is an opportunity that offers the ability to learn about how a LEED platinum, net zero energy building is supported.
This role achieves Foundation objectives relating to building operation and maintenance through direct actions. The Facilities Technician, in support of Foundation business activities, performs physical repairs and preventative maintenance on and around the facilities.
The Facilities Technician monitors the physical condition of the buildings. The position is responsible for troubleshooting problems and working with the manager to determine repair or replacement needs and means. This role is responsible for performing and scheduling maintenance and repair work that minimizes disruption to Foundation operations and to expedite completion of the work. This position reports to the Facilities Manager and will work as a part of a small team.
We seek a Facilities Technician to:
- Perform building and grounds inspections and identify and execute repairs
- Perform light carpentry, basic electrical, plumbing, painting, and mechanical repairs
- Respond and close work orders in a timely manner
- Perform preventative and scheduled maintenance
- Assist with maintaining clean buildings and grounds
- Assist with Foundation event setups, furniture moves, etc.
- Prepare work spaces, office relocations, and office equipment installations/modifications
- Ensure work methods conform to CAL-OSHA safety regulations
- Organize and store facilities materials and equipment
- Perform other facility projects and work tasks as assigned
- Respond to facility emergencies
- Work well and communicate with Facilities team, Foundation staff, and others
- Work in a manner that honors the Foundation values of respect for others and working with integrity
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Reliable with strong customer service orientation and follow through
- Proactive and organized with problem-solving skills and excellent judgment
- Proficient with hand and power tools
- Experience with irrigation systems, controllers, and light carpentry skills a plus
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to read and follow complex instructions and document processes
- Familiarity with Outlook and MS Word a plus; ability to learn task tracking systems needed
- Manages own time efficiently, handles and prioritizes multiple tasks, and meets timelines
- Takes direction and works well independently and as needed on a team
- General knowledge of OSHA safety regulations
- Able to drive; possesses a valid CA driver’s license and has a clear driving record
- Flexible to work overtime or on weekends to respond to facilities emergencies when occasionally required
- Must be able to communicate and understand oral and written communications, and generate, convey and exchange oral and written information accurately and by phone; lift and move objects (not to exceed 25 lbs.) or up to 50 lbs. when working with another person, bend, kneel, crawl, and climb a ladder to perform work functions and have manual dexterity to use hand and power tools. Excellent visual acuity and physical ability are needed to perform job functions.
Education and Experience
High School graduate or GED and a minimum of three years of related work experience.
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with related work experience. The position is located in downtown Los Altos.
Please email a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills and work experience fit the position and a resume referring to job number 19-08-1510R in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.