Job Title: Business Systems Analyst (Full-time, Exempt)
Job Number: 17-25-1400R
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (the Foundation) is a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level and is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
The Foundation works on the issues their founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children, enabling the creative pursuit of science, advancing reproductive health, conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems, and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. For 2017, the Foundation expects to make grantmaking awards of over $300 million. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
Overview of Information Technology
The Information Technology (IT) team delivers technology services and support to the staff and guests of the Foundation. The IT team ensures that technology enhances and supports the work of the Foundation, from both an operational and strategic perspective. This includes day-to-day support services as well as a vision for a strong and sustainable infrastructure.
Business Systems Analyst
The Business Systems Analyst is primarily responsible for supporting business applications, both commercial and custom-built, used by Foundation staff and external users. This support includes business process definition and enhancement, specification and implementation of new technologies, validation of new functionality and bug fixes, and support for day-to-day work activities. A strong technical foundation is required and the ability to utilize SQL in support of analysis and validation activities is preferred.
- Responsible for formulating systems scope and objectives relative to the organization’s business plan and industry requirements
- Performs analysis of business and user needs, and translation into proper system requirements documentation and detailed specifications from which programs will be written
- Considers business implications of the application of technology to the current business environment and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary
- Devises and/or modifies procedures to solve the most complex technical problems related to business applications capabilities and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results
- Works with user groups to identify and solve business problems with all available technology including software and databases
- Technical experience related to studying and analyzing application system needs, development, process analysis, design and re-engineering
- Experience in business management, systems engineering, operations research, and management engineering
- Specialization in multiple software or business applications utilized in an end user environment
- Keeps abreast of technological developments and applications and uses that information to proactively initiate enhancements to mitigate against future problems
- Provides technical consulting on complex projects
- Provides day-to-day support for business application systems and monitor the internal ticketing system and inquiries
- Troubleshoots, analyzes, and researches issues reported to provide documentation of concerns and replication steps for vendor technical support and manages vendor incident tracking system
- Develops test plans for business applications, validates functionality, and performs testing in coordination with IT testers and others
- Performs regular data analyses to help maintain data integrity in grantmaking and related systems
- Contributes to multiple projects simultaneously in close collaboration with Foundation teams
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly motivated, self-starter who uses excellent judgment when working with others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with documentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships that eases positive collaboration with others
- Solid analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Able to grasp concepts quickly; aptitude and interest in technical concepts are very essential
- Able to undertake detailed data analysis and data tracing in order to deliver, with a high degree of accuracy, assessments, recommendations, and/or corrections as appropriate
- Able to work with multiple project and work streams concurrently, with the ability to deliver work products on time and within budget
- Knowledge or previous experience with a financial system and accounting processes is a plus
- Good working knowledge of relational databases and application framework
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Knowledge of SQL language and the capability to write SQL queries to extract information from SQL databases for analysis, data tracing reporting, augmentation, correction, etc., is a plus
- Familiarity with enterprise reporting tools such as Business Objects, Crystal Reports, and/or SQL Server Reporting Services and/or business intelligence/analytics tools such as Tableau also a plus
- Demonstrated project coordination, planning, time management, and organizational skills with a strong customer service orientation
- General knowledge of related areas of information technology
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also have the ability to sit at a desk for 2-3 hours at a time, lift and move documents and supplies not to exceed 20 lbs., and bend to file and retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or equivalent education and work experience. Minimum of four to six years of related work experience in a business analysis or consulting or project management role involving customer engagement is required.
Benefits and Compensation
We offer excellent benefits and compensation that is commensurate with education and related work experience. The position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Email a one-page cover letter and a resume explaining your interest and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com. Please reference job number 17-25-1400R in the subject line.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.