Job Title: Grants Data Specialist (Full-time, Exempt)
Job Number: 15-06-2100R
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. The Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level and is located in Los Altos, CA.
- The Foundation works on the issues their founders cared about most, which are
- Improving the lives of children
- Enabling the creative pursuit of science
- Advancing reproductive health
- Conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems
- Supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations
A staff of 120 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. For 2015, the Foundation expects to make grantmaking awards of over $300 million. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
This is a unique role that provides analytical analysis of grantmaking and financial data for management and planning. Key areas of responsibility include: data and system management, grantmaking data, and Board docket management. This position reports to the Finance Director
Grantmaking Data and Systems Management
- Monitors and ensures on-going integrity of grant data and systems
- Serves as primary contact for Foundation staff on day-to-day grantmaking systems issues including timely troubleshooting, issue identification, tracking, and resolution, including interfacing with external vendor
- Acts as the lead coordinator of maintenance and enhancement of grant systems to fulfill Foundation needs, including management of external vendor work
- Works closely with Evaluation and Learning and programs on data and reporting, including the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) system
- Develops and conducts trainings and presentations on the grant system and process, documents processes, including developing, maintaining, and delivering employee training
- Acts in lead role on cross-department grantmaking system workgroup (Super Users)
- Coordinates and responds to internal and external requests for grantmaking data, data analysis, and reporting
- Acts as a key contributor in developing recommendations with respect to ensuring high quality grantmaking data and information management
- Undertakes special assignments and projects
Grantmaking Financial Management
- Assists with the grant award budget and process
- Prepares month-end/year-end financial reconciliations
- Acts as a key contributor to the grant payment process including processing, documentation, quality assurance, and recommending operational efficiencies and/or appropriate control mechanisms
- Contributes to annual external financial audit, including audit documentation of processes, procedures, and controls related to grantmaking including financial management and related systems
- Maintains grantmaking-related financial processes, procedures, and reporting. This includes training staff
- Provides grant-related financial data
- Independently manages the quarterly Board meeting docket process and procedures in close coordination with the Communications Director, VP and Director of Programs, and the President’s Office
- Edits final version of materials included in docket
- Coordinates the printing of the quarterly docket, distributing hard copies to Trustees and staff, and uploading electronic docket materials to the Board website
- Acts as a key contributor to integrate reporting tools with docket materials and the Board website
- Creates process documents and trains new staff on the docket process and tools
- Identifies and implements process improvements and materials
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience and comfort with technical aspects of database applications and document sharing applications
- Demonstrated experience with data analysis, running reports, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Familiarity with technology trends in grantmaking a plus
- Ability to self-start, set priorities, anticipate information needed, and follow through
- Excellent organizational, project and time management skills, and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated editing and written grammar skills
- Customer service orientation and skills
- Demonstrated analytical and process improvement skills
- Proven judgment, flexibility, and able to manage multiple tasks and projects well
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively and building positive work relationships across the Foundation and contributing constructively to teams and projects in a solution oriented manner
- Enjoys learning and training others
- Demonstrated ability to protect sensitive and confidential information
- Strong ability to interact with all in a professional, courteous, culturally sensitive, and tactful manner
- Ability to travel as needed periodically
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 25 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience. Minimum of 5 years of related work experience. Position is located in Los Altos, CA.
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with relevant education and work experience.
Please email your one-page cover letter explaining your interest and a resume referring to job number 15-06-2100R in the subject line to email@example.com.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.